We will host Family Promise starting July 25 - August 1, 2021
Check out this new video with our own Kelly Freeman and the Director of Lake Houston Family Promise to see what it is all about! https://youtu.be/Nvqu_BlA5bE
Please mark this week in your calendar and consider ways you can join us in serving.
There are multiple opportunities:
- Provide dinner—stay if you are able, or we’ll make arrangements to meet you at the church for delivery of the meal, 5:45pm-6:30pm.
- Be an evening host—just come up & visit during the meal & for a little while after, 6pm-8pm. Hospitality is a gift to these families—be a listening ear & offer encouragement.
- Be an overnight host—sleep at the church with one other partner to be a resource if needed, 8pm-6am. (The families leave by 6am)
- Provide supplies—we provide grab & go breakfast items & snacks for the families to have each day.
- Set Up & Break Down—we transform 2-3 Sunday School rooms into bedrooms for the families. This happens Sunday before or after church.
Lake Houston UMC is proud to be a part of the Family Promi4se program. The core program is a way for communities to address the challenge of family homelessness by using existing resources. Not only does this make the program cost efficient, it makes it effective. Family Promise is not just about getting families into housing, but addressing all the underlying issues and using the community to keep them in housing.
How it Works
Our church provides space in our buildings to serve as temporary homes. We provide a place for where families can take showers, receive case management and look for housing and jobs. LHUMC volunteers give their time in making meals and sharing hospitality with our guests. They share food, spend the night, play with children and lend their passion and expertise to help families get back on their feet. They prove that motivated people can solve family homelessness. More information can be found at the Family Promise website.
If you would like to help with this outreach, contact Kelly Freeman, Missions Chair, 281-734-1998.